5 reasons to shop small
Have you ever thought about how powerful your dollar is? A lot of times we spend our money mindlessly, swiping our debit cards for coffee, eggs, or that cute t-shirt in the window of your local boutique. Have you ever stopped to think that small changes in the way you spend your dollars can lead to bigger changes in our economy?
We’ve officially entered the holiday season. Everywhere you turn stores are going to be doing everything they can to get you to shop with them. Lucky for you, the ball is in your court. You ultimately get to decide which businesses you support. Choosing to purchase local eggs at the grocery store, rather than imported will show the store what is valuable to you as a customer, and ultimately lead them to stock more of that. The same goes for your ethics in shopping. Choosing to shop ethically made rather than fast fashion big names, could ultimately lead to those stores having to change their morals/values as well. Brands will follow your lead!
So here is a quick list of reasons as to why it’s important to shop small as much as you possibly can this gift giving season.
- Small Businesses support community. Out of every $100 spent at a local shop, $68 stay in the community; compared to $43 at a national chain. This also keeps your tax dollars in your local communities, funding your public schools, roads, etc.
- Small Businesses have a huge economic impact. According to the SBA, small businesses have added 8 million jobs to our economy, verses the 4 million big box stores have added.
- Smaller Businesses are often more transparent. Often times you can get to know the actual faces behind the brand and know exactly how/where your items were made. Not in all cases, but usually, smaller businesses have the chance to source materials locally and manufacture ethically in small batches. Bigger box names are able to manufacture more, keeping their price points low, but often times their factories are reported to have unsafe and unfair working conditions, so not always a purchase you can feel great about.
- Smaller businesses often offer a more personalized and overall better quality shopping experience. To them you are the most important person in the world, to a bigger box name you are one in a million. A small business will more than likely bend over backwards to win your satisfaction, and it will mean a lot to them to do so.
- When you support a small business, an actual individual on the other end is doing a little happy dance. You can always feel good about your purchase.